TEST6

Behind the scenes of Julian2 videos and one of the #1 places AJ wiki gets its pictures from

Saturday, October 10, 2015

My thoughts on "modern" trading

Apparently, me quitting translates to "never leaving and only posting boring "rants""

Anyway, today I feel like talking about my thoughts on trading and how it used to be/how it is now as well as rares and how they work. Chances are there won't be many people that see it the same way I do but I felt like typing this all out anyway

I'll start with how trading was before they added a trade system
In 2010 and early 2011, 99% of the time trading ended up as a scam. The only way to trade items with someone was through Jam a Grams. The other person always made you send your item first, and instead of being a half decent person, they would either send you back a 45 gem necklace instead of the item they promised, or you'd just get nothing at all. There were some honest traders out there (sometimes they would offer to send first) but the honest traders ended up getting scammed most of the time too. I was able to have like one successful trade but some people wouldn't consider it a real trade. Someone in the town was saying "send me a gift and i will send you one back!" and they actually did send stuff back. I don't remember what I sent them but they gave me an orange heart balloon back... I think. Even though heart balloons had just left stores they were decently rare at the time. Then they added the trade system near the end of March 2011 because of all the people getting scammed. The trade system didn't really help with scamming since people found new ways to scam such as  > The Pillow Scam <


You probably knew that already but I wanted to include that part because... I don't know it makes the post longer lol

This post isn't about scamming so I'm just going to exclude anything else about it. After the trading system came out, me and lots of other people got into trading. The town was the main place people went for trading but occasionally people would have trading parties in their dens and people would actually go to them. More people would come if you put the word "rare" in front of your message. Me or my friend would go to the town yelling "RARE TRADING IN MY DEN!" and our dens would fill up pretty quickly. Nowadays if you tried to host a den trading party, everyone would ignore you. You might get some attention if you have a black spiked collar on, byt if you don't, good luck getting anyone to come to your den. You didn't need to have any rare items on for people to come to your trading parties. Everyone just went anyway. As you know by now I'm really bad at organizing my posts. That being said I'm just going to hold that thought and talk about something else lol

Back then, all items in existence/in circulation came from a shop. If anything left a shop it pretty much instantly became rare. For example, Heart Balloons. I already mention this in this post but even though at the time they just recently left Jam Mart Clothing, not very many of them were in existence. Sure they were still semi common but it wasn't like now where everyone and their cat has 27 of every clearance item and 89 spiked collars. There weren't that many people interested in item collecting so not many people bought everything that went on clearance. There was no other way of getting items other than by trading or buying them, unlike now where most items in circulation came from adventures. Rarity was pretty much based on how many people bought the item. Most of the good traders knew exactly (or had a close estimate) how many of each of the "good" items there were in existence (for example it was common knowledge between "hardcore traders" that there were only 2 orange beards in the game) and had a pretty good idea about the amount of semi rare items such as Heart Balloons

About 2/3 of the game's items were ones that were not for sale meaning that 2/3 of the game's items were rare. There weren't as many different items in the game as there are now but there were still a lot of items. That kept trading interesting and fun for me as I never knew what I was going to get offered. When I first started trading there was a really cool feeling you would get if you got traded a rare item that you never owned before. I remember the joy I felt when I got my first Wreath Necklace and Fox Hat. There were so many rare items and it was really fun trying to collect them. I would sit at the town sometimes just waiting for offers and/or waiting for someone to host a trading party. I loved getting to see what people offered for my items. It was really cool when someone traded you an item that had much greater value. Back then it was very possible to get "ultra rare items" like freedom wings (which used to be 15 of a kind or something like that)
You just had to trade often and keep trading for items with better value. Unfortunately it's much different now
The way I see it, there's only one thing people trade for in the present day - black spiked collars. Black spiked collars are treated like greatest and rarest thing in the game, however in reality they are one of the most common items. If you go to Aldan just click on just about anyone's trade list. There's a 73% chance they will have at least 5 black spiked collars on their list. Yeah, so "rare"
Everything that isn't a black spiked collar (except for a few items) is treated like complete trash

I don't know how to write stuff so I'm once again going to hold that thought and come back to it later (unless I forget to lol)

As mentioned before, the town and people's dens were the only places people usually went to trade. Occasionally Coral Canyons would have a few traders. Now, every room besides dens are always full with people demanding people trade then a spiked collar, at least in Aldan. I guess that's just because AJ has like x20 the players now as it used to have, but why doesn't anyone go to dens to trade? Other than WootMoo's den of course (for whatever reason)

Now back to one of the topics I abandoned for no reason. I was talking about how (pretty much) the only things people ask for are (black) spiked collars. In the past, the people who asked for items in the "anything on my list for ____" manner would ask for almost any item in the game. "Anything on my list for a yellow rhino helmet" "Anything on my list for a green and pink wreath necklace!" But now I can't recall seeing anything other than "plz trad me spiked cloler so i can b cool and unoriginal"

Another thing that killed trading for me is how there are very few items in the game now that are actually rare. The Forgotten Desert made nearly every item in the game available at any time. Plus if I really want an item it will be near impossible to find someone that has that item that doesn't want a spiked collar for it. What's the point in trading for something that's still available? What's the point of trading at all if everyone wants the same exact thing? Most of the items I want are ones that aren't in The Forgotten Desert. For example, a light green old blanket and a "beta" eye since mine got hacked (if anyone is reading this that has a beta eye I will trade a beta elf helmet and some other junk lol)
All the people that have those items either want other super rare items or they just aren't for trade. That being said it's pretty much impossible to get any super rare items now. In the past it wasn't as hard getting super rares. Items have different "levels" of value and you could keep trading up or them. Now, all items that aren't spiked collars are complete trash in terms of value. There are a few that aren't considered worthless, such as headdresses and tiki masks. The only thing people ever want for those are... you guessed it, spiked collars. I'm terrible at getting my point across so I'll just say this - I think the "rarity scale" is all messed up now that eagle quests exists. Almost all items have the same value now. It's impossible to get ultra rare items like beta eyes or beta creature masks now, unless you have other ultra rare items to trade for them

If AJHQ is going to put most items in the game available as adventure prizes, why couldn't they have put all of them in? 
AJHQ doesn't seem to ever bring back special items. Most of AJHQ doesn't even acknowledge they exist, at least in my experience. These items will always be extremely rare so it's basically impossible for newer players to get them without hacking or scamming

This post probably made me sound more like an idiot than usual, I know. I just felt like typing my thoughts on trading. I used t enjoy it but now it's just boring for me. It's not fun to keep trading for the same thing over and over. If you still enjoy trading then great! If it makes you happy and isn't hurting anyone then you should keep going and never stop. I just don't get enjoyment out of it anymore

I wrote this post in small parts over the course of a few days so chances are I forgot most of the things I wanted to say in this post. Maybe I'll edit it later but eh

77 comments:

  1. There are also those glitched items.Old "rare" items in my opinion were better than what we have now.Such were Founder hats, Top hats , Tail armours, Scary batwings, Pirate swords and well Spiked collars when they were actually not super common.Wow , those days when the bows and arrows and fox hat together were a popular outfit.. Also the den betas, ,which are much easier to obtain in the present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Top Hats don't seem rare anymore :(

      Delete
  2. I hope AJHQ sees this.
    And I totally agree.

    I once told someone to stop offering me their spiked collar, I didn't WANT it. They were shocked, astounded, amazed and aghast and like "wht y dont u want it its supa rare omggg". I said it looked weird (spikes, people, SPIKES - why would you want to wear SPIKES????) and they left my den never to return.
    AJ is going down, down, DOWN...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some very very very good points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tHANK YOU FOR THE TRUTH
    I AM ALWAYS RANTING ABOUT HOW THE TRADING SYSTEM GOT MESSED UP IN AJ WHILE I'M STALKING GOOGLE+ COMMENT SECTIONS
    but nobody cares or listens because black collars are still so special and important!!!1!one!!1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, all people care about are long spike collars. It's just so ANNOYING!!! Hey, remember when Flags on AJ were like really rare lol

      Delete
  5. I pretty much agree with everything in this post.
    I mean, there was that entire summer I spent trying to get a spike, and later, somebody FINALLY traded me a diamond collar, which I didn't even know how to put into any of my outfits without looking mismatched.
    THEN I got a beta orange mat.
    There was an old rates website that said it was worth a headdress.
    I traded this and a bow and some other junk, with no luck.
    Honestly, trading isn't fun anymore.
    You're right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I can't art
      Struggling enough with YMT/OS concept art lol

      Delete
  7. Completely agreed.

    ~Amhdolphin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. This
      [img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mH4lq5ikl7E/T8WytIis1wI/AAAAAAAAH-Q/ACuDBb3z3s0/s1600/eyeee.png[/img]
      More info on the Special Items page

      Delete
    2. You had one that you hatched back when you came back to AJ and I wanna know how that one's doing. My Shiny Bronzong says hello

      Delete
    3. I have two of them. One of them is competitively trained and I named it Ribbons (Icy Snow pattern)
      Not sure about the other one

      Delete
    4. Shiny and Icy Snow? That's a great visual combination there. I bet Ribbons is very pretty!

      Delete
  9. How's your shiny Scatterbug doing, Mel?

    ReplyDelete
  10. JULIAN STOLE YOUR PHOTOS AGAIN
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD86xBTLthQ
    (Check 1:45 so you don't need to watch the whole thing)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't be bothered to look lol

      Delete
    2. HE USED YOUR EDITED ITEM PICTURES, MEL!

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    4. wait he credited you, but didn't link your blog, and didn't use your current username

      Delete
    5. Wow, that's REALLY something, isn't it? He must have made a HUGE effort to give you credit that actually CREDITED YOU ACCURATELY THE BUTT

      Delete
    6. AAAANNNDDD he used my glitched ring graphic.

      Delete
    7. Julian likes stealing Mel's pictures.

      Delete
    8. I hate thieves who think they can get away with anything because they're famous. Honestly I never liked either snowflaw or Jewelan to begin with

      Delete
    9. At least he credited you... BUT STILL SERIOUSLY?! Lol

      Delete
  11. I remember once a founder's hat was worth 4 black long collars. I trade a black long collar, purple long collar, blue collar and a brown bead. It took like 95 tries to get the hat. Wanna know what I got my 2nd for? A short orange collar. Founders will never come back. You can still win spikes. The hat should at LEAST be worth a few long collars. The spike's demand is too high.
    -Fomar

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never liked to look of spikes and I never will. I hope people go and ditch them for something cute like hula skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally like neither skirts nor spikes. I like aviator hats, though.

      (But seriously, I don't wear skirts or dresses in real life, either. I hope to never do so again.)

      Delete
    2. Idk, I really love dresses. Like, they're so simple, you just slip them on and people think you've made an effort. It's like, "Haha yes, my outfit is working, you think I cared to come out of my house today."

      Delete
    3. I like dresses and skirts, but not the itchy, velvety ones that bother my skin. >.<

      Delete
    4. Dresses look nice on others, but I don't like wearing them myself. Like, to the point where I would rather wear masculine formal wear even as a bridesmaid at a wedding. That's why I just wear my simple little outfit that didn't cost 60 buck or something, which is a white shirt, black pants and bowtie.

      Screw anybody who tries to MAKE me wear a dress just because I'm female.

      Delete
  13. Mel, I made a historical post you should check out: this may end up being simply dismissed as spam but I hope that you will find this interested. It IS about Animal Jam and not something weird like bad art of something like Neopets, so please check it out!

    https://tendereyes.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/what-happened-to-enchanted-earth/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balaur, I have a response to your post.

      http://animaljamwhip.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-return-of-enchanted-earth-toys.html

      Delete
  14. everything in this post. so true. i wish aj was like it was in 2011. it was more laid back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Mom's friend's cat's flea's coach's rodent's bff's daughter werks fer aj!!! i fired dem!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My grandpas sisters daughters nephews fleas owner works for AJHQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? My grandpa's dog's friend's sister's cousin's owner's bff's fleas's dog's human's uncle's aunt's granddaughter works for AJHQ too

      Delete
  17. mel can you get your money back if you cancel your membership?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not Mel but i'm i'm pretty sure that AJHQ said that you don't get your money back

      Delete
    2. Aww... I want to cancel my membership because I've quit AJ but I don't want my parents to lose money... What do you think I should do?

      Delete
    3. On the dashboard you can set membership so it won't automatically renew itself

      Delete
  18. By bringing back once-rare items in Adventures and the Diamond Shop, AJHQ unwittingly destroyed the entire item economy. Not many people seem to know or care. Nowadays, the rarity scale isn't based off of estimates of how many of an item there are in a game - they're entirely dependent on what uneducated, greedy YouTubers claim is "cool" or "in".

    Which leads me right to the spiked collars, urrgh. Apart from just looking pretty weird, they're actually even more common than many seasonal items - and despite the orange short being called the "worst" spike, there are actually way less orange shorts in circulation than black or purple longs. But of course, people follow YouTubers like sheep, accepting everything they say about "rarity" without bothering to do research themselves and bawwlocking like a fiend when someone actually presents the data and evidence to prove them wrong.

    And headdresses...people don't seem to get that it's cultural appropriation. Unlike something that does show honor to the culture, like beaded moccasins, the Native American headdress is a sacred object, reserved for respected leaders, and the people who wear it spend their whole lives earning every feather on it, but when it's on AJ it's reduced to a little costume for fun. But if they were removed or replaced with something more respectful, the "rare" jammers would sob and moan to no end (probably while wearing a Washington Redskins jersey or something). Note this is different from, say, a Mexican sombrero, because while sombreros are hats for anyone, headdresses are reserved for only the most elite, so to speak, like a military medal in a way. Again, though, if a YTer says it's cool/rare/glitched/etc., everyone just accepts it without question.

    Kind of a long rant here. I'm so frustrated with how much the community both in and out of game has decayed to a horrifically aggressive and greedy "norm". It's made me start playing Club Penguin again :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJHQ also said something along the lines of "monthly member gifts will never come back!"
      Then you look in the diamond shop or eagle quest and most of the monthly gifts are there

      Delete
    2. Speaking of headdresses, someone started to harass me online because my wolf was wearing a headdress. He said I was "parading around Jamaa and making fun of Native Americans".

      Headdresses just need to die. *boom boom* *bang bang*

      Delete
    3. Dressing up as a Native American (even though that wasn't your point of wearing a headdress) is not making fun of a Native American.

      Delete
    4. It's not exactly "making fun of" Native Americans, but it's quite disrespectful and is cultural appropriation. Headdresses are reserved for special leaders, and are often religiously sacred. It's not always the fault of the kid wearing them, rather, the fault of whoever decided to put them into the game and turn the religion and culture of a group we have oppressed for centuries into a fashionable costume.

      Delete
  19. As you probably figured out or overheard by now, it's been determined the new animal is an arctic fox. How unfortunate...not only will it be a cheap repeat of the fox, but I can guarantee it will either be in the diamond shop or only obtainable with a separate gift card. So sad, when the obvious choice should have been the bat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the image I looked at for about 2 seconds it looks exactly like the original fox pose mixed with the new non-animal-like lynxes
      Not looking forward to those

      Delete
    2. Aren't the bats too small to be an avatar?

      Delete
    3. The Arctic Fox will definitely be for gift cards only.

      Delete
    4. @Naffy,
      Nachofox101, yesssss it must happen

      Delete
    5. @batmanhero Many fruit bats and flying foxes are huge!

      Delete
  20. MAY
    THE NEW UPDATE MADE IT SO SAYING "jamaa" (with no quote marks of course, lol) gives you a warning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup! you cant say anything with "jamaa" "ajhq" "jamaa township" or any of the alpha names - NICE GOING AJHQ

      Delete
  21. also, i made of fanfic of Breadstick the aligator
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tPDSN7ols6I/ViI8EyM6-0I/AAAAAAAAAvU/IVg-3s5XEhg/s1600/jack.PNG

    ReplyDelete
  22. is this a real item?
    it is called Rare Heart Skull Helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, it was a recent rare monday item

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for once they actually had a slightly original rim XD

      Delete
  24. guess who just scalped my entire countys amiibo resotck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fine I'll answer, idk who BUT THEYRE ALL GONEEe

      Delete
    2. someone probably had a fun day listing them all on ebay

      Delete
    3. IKR?
      We ended up driving an hour and a half to get lucario, greninja and little mac

      Delete
  25. The "Rarity System" ruined AJ.

    ReplyDelete

Be prepared for sassy and sarcastic replies : )
If you're posting a link, please don't use link shorteners